Image Map

Sunday 19 January 2014

January DIY: Jewellery Cabinet Up-cycle (part 1)

While helping my Mum find furniture for her new shop (Pebble, opening March 1st!) I came across this vintage style jewellery cabinet in a second hand shop. At first I wasn't sure because the roses painted on it weren't quite my style (they were all along the top too) and the handles were a black bulky metal. I did love the the way it opened out to hold necklaces and has wee compartments for my (many) rings along with a little mirror in the top so decided it was worth buying and putting a little work into. I got overexcited and took off and binned the old handles before taking the first photo but you get the idea!

It's been a nice and simply up-cycling job, just a case of filling in the old handle screw holes, sanding the roses off and painting a couple of coats of white eggshell paint all over. I want to keep it plain as then the handles can easily be changed to fit the style of the room it's in. I decided that these pinky red ceramic rose handles (about £1.50 each on ebay) would be perfect for a slightly more modern shabby chic feel. The reason I've split this post in two is so I can show off the organised inside and finished outside in the next one without going into photo overload!

2 comments:

  1. what a stunning cabinet! i love the rose handles that you've got to pop onto it too. cant wait to see the finished version, and cant wait for pebbles to open to! Definitely going to pop into there!
    Lauren | OhHay Blogs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren :) So glad I decided to buy it! I can't wait for Pebble to open either, I want to buy everything she's chosen as stock so far! x

      Delete