Image Map

Friday 18 January 2013

Brooch Frame DIY

I first saw a frame used to display brooches at Peapod (vintage shop, Aberdeen). I have a small collection of brooches which sit in boxes and aren't often worn and thought this would be a great way of showing them off and making them into a pretty piece of art for the wall! I found a tutorial over at The Yellow Buttercup and started keeping an eye out for the perfect frame. A few months on and I came across this one, framing pressed flowers, for a bargain £5 in a nearby charity shop. This frame needed no painting, and the whole project took about 10 minutes!
I chose a blue and cream floral vintage fabric, and cut this with over an inch around the edge of the backing. I cut the padding to the same size as the backing and secured this by folding over the fabric edge and sticking with a glue gun. This makes your frame backing into a pillow effectively, perfect for pinning brooches to.
Pop this back in the frame (without the glass) and you're ready to pin your brooches in whatever way you think works best. I attempted a random sort of grid layout. I love how this has turned out, I think they'd look great in a group on the wall with different frames filled with various colour groups of jewellery. Much more fun than jewellery boxes and practical too!

No comments:

Post a Comment